Kickstarter's Journey Part 4: Life


Here's the hardest part to learn: life doesn't stop because you have a good idea.

In my experience, it almost seemed to get harder.  My wife is pregnant, and there was a period of time when the baby's health was in jeopardy.  My "day job" is going through a lot of changes (all good, but the process has been very hard).  I have 18-month-old, and as I write, she keeps hitting the "caps lock" button.  Friends got married.  Family had a garage sale.  Holidays brought time constraints.  The lawn needed mowed.  The siding fell off the house.  Family vacations took me away from creativity.  It goes on and on.  Not to mention, you gotta eat, sleep, relax, worry about hygiene, etc.  

Basically, it all comes down to this:
I'm a husband (full-time job), I'm a father 
(full-time job), I'm a game designer (full-time job), I'm a friend (full-time job), and I have a full-time job (full-time job).

I'm not saying this to throw a pity-party.  I'm saying this to warn you.

There will be times when you feel pulled in so many directions, you might physically split in five little pieces.  You will worry one of the balls you're juggling is going to fall.  And since you've already cut out everything you could, you're terrified of what you might lose.

I had a lot of positive experiences, but they were rarely strong enough to carry me through the negative ones.  And here is the worst part.  I don't know how to tell you how to overcome these problems.  It takes personal dedication and time management, and you can't teach that in a blog post.  Still, it's what's necessary to succeed. 

But I will tell you one thing... I couldn't have done any of this without my wife.   Almost every night, I needed to do 2-3 hours of creative work (sometimes more).  That means I wasn't pulling 2-3 hours of weight.  My wife put that weight on her shoulders, and carried us both to this point.

There were also times when I was so discouraged, I almost gave up.  Luckily, at these times, the people that played my game were more confident in Planet Hysteria than I was.

This is the main reason I've been doing this series.  Keep going.  Keep fighting.  Don't lose sight of the big picture.  Be patient.  Trust your heart.

Find more entries here.