Kickstarter's Journey Part 6: Kickstarter Page




The Goal
You have to do your research for this.  You have to know your costs

In the end, I decided to go to with Panda Game Manufacturing for the actual production of the game.  So far, I have just been in contact with them for the quotes, but I've really enjoyed my experience so far.  They always respond quickly, and we have actually had a correspondence going back and forth.

I probably should have mentioned this before, but I used The Game Crafter to make my prototype.  I wouldn't recommend anything else for that purpose.  You get a better product for cheaper than FedEx or anything like that. On the flip side, their quality isn't the best, and you can't order enough in bulk to make it worth going into full production with them.   

For example, just at cost, my game on Game Crafter is $61 + Shipping (when buying 250+ copies)!  That's more than you'll be paying on my kickstarter, and you'll be getting better quality components, AND you'll get free shipping.  

Since I did everything myself, my only real costs are the kickstarter fees, production, and shipping.  And shipping SUUUCKS.

After adding those up, and adding a small buffer for unexpected hiccups, I had my goal.  

Now, since I am trying to make a career, I decided not to make a profit (or much of one) from this.  I set my goal as low as I could.  If I make money, it will be from going over my goal or selling the extra copies I'll have printed.

The Rewards
I went back and forth on if I should add shipping or not.  Ultimately, I discovered people want free shipping.

I also went back and forth on whether or not to have early bird specials.  I really wanted to thank the people that had been with me from the start (playtesting and longer), but they actually recommended against it.

The majority told me they didn't care how much Planet Hysteria cost, they were buying the game anyway.  They just didn't want me alienating people who found out about the game last.

The Video
I don't know about you, but I won't back a project unless it has a video.  It kind of goes back into what I talked about in Part: 5.  If you can't make a video (and a decent one), I doubt you can make... well... anything.

This is mine:

I made the animation in my video using a program called Adobe Premiere and Adobe Photoshop.

Both programs work quite a bit different.  Fortunately for me, I had been using Photoshop for a few years, and before that, I had been an artist since preschool.  Premiere, on the other had, was new to me.  With that, I had a good friend show me the basics, and I taught myself from there (through exploration and youtube tutorials).


The nice thing about the video was that the artwork was already done.  I had already finished 99% of the game by the time I made the video.  That meant that I could draw from the work I already had done, and I only had to worry about the video.

Someday, if there is a demand, I could go more in depth with my usage of those programs.

The last half was shot by a friend (the same friend mentioned above) and I am eternally grateful.  Because of that, I can't exactly tell you how it was done.  Sorry.

The Written Part
This was a little difficult for me, because this is marketing.  As with all creative things, there are a million ways to present a product.  And with that, a million people are each looking for something unique.

Every game I bought has been based off three things: 1) the video, 2) the reward price, and 3) the stretch goals.  So, when a friend at Five24 Labs encouraged me to be as open as possible, it seemed odd.  

However, they say, "A fool and his money are soon parted."  Since none of you are fools, you'll do your research to make sure I'm on the level.  Hopefully I've written enough, not to trick you into buying my game, but to let you know if Planet Hysteria is right for you or not.  Still, I honestly believe that, the more you know, the more interested you'll be.

Find more entries here.