Excellent acting and a few great scenes manage to bring meaning to the movie's final moments. Unfortunately, they never quite make up for the tired plots copied to make up the first two acts.
All plot points come associated with at least a thousand movies all based off the same premise. In case you don't believe me, here is a list of clichés (minor spoilers):
- City man returns home to the small town he escaped (and to add bonus points, it was because of a death in the family).
- Corrupt lawyer takes a impossible-to-win case that changes his heart.
- High school sweethearts reunited.
- Father and son's rocky relationship bridged by a serious illness.
- Precocious little girl softens an old man's hard heart.
- Family sentimentality brought on by old home movies.
- Muffled audio to denote serious contemplation (3 times).